Zequanox molluscicide is a patented, naturally derived aquatic biopesticide that effectively controls all life stages of invasive zebra and quagga (dreissenid) mussels. The molluscicide is manufactured by MBI, at the company’s plant in
The cost for treating intake pipes, water filtration equipment, and power plants’ operating costs for zebra mussel damages is estimated at
“Establishing this partnership with Solenis is a significant milestone in the commercialization of Zequanox. With a direct sales force of water-treatment experts servicing industrial facilities and power generation plants throughout
The active ingredient in Zequanox molluscicide is derived from the dead cells of a specific strain of the naturally occurring bacteria Pseudomonas fluorescens (Pf). Pf is one of the most common bacteria in the world and is present naturally in soil, in water and on plants. Strains of Pf bacteria are regularly used in production of medicines, enzymes and food. Zequanox is not genetically modified.
“Over the past year, Solenis has worked closely with MBI to evaluate Zequanox and to develop this collaboration. We are excited to have gained a partner with a shared vision to bring effective, innovative and sustainable products to the marketplace. As a leader in servicing industrial water users, Solenis is pleased to add Zequanox to our broad array of tools and services for our customers,” added
Extensive studies with Zequanox molluscicide have been conducted on numerous aquatic and terrestrial species, with no indication of any harmful effects when used as instructed. The molluscicide is food tolerance exempt and deemed safe for use on food crops and in drinking water in
Unlike other molluscicides,
Currently, Zequanox is registered in 37 states for both enclosed system and open water uses where zebra and/or quagga mussels are present, or where the threat of future infestation exists. The product is also registered in
1Zegers, R. E. (2008,
Facts About Zequanox
- Zequanox is composed of dead cells from a naturally occurring strain of the bacteria Pseudomonas fluorescens (Pf). Zebra and quagga mussels perceive Zequanox as a non-threatening food source and consume it readily, along with their normal diet. Once ingested, Zequanox causes their digestive lining to deteriorate, resulting in death.
- Mussel mortality begins within a couple of days after treatment and continues for several weeks following exposure to the product.
- Pf as a species have a long history of use in the production of food and pharmaceuticals. It is a species commonly used in the production of fermented food products, such as yogurt.
- The particular Pf strain used to make Zequanox was isolated from river mud in
New York stateon a body of water that had notably lower Zebra and quagga mussel populations when compared to surrounding bodies of water.
- Funding for the initial research to discover Zequanox was supported by the
State of New York, the U.S. Department of Energyand the National Science Foundation, with the goal of finding dreissenid mussel controls that were of lower risk to humans, the environment and water quality than products currently in use.
- Extensive research, both in the laboratory and the field, have demonstrated Zequanox’s efficacy against invasive mussels, little risk to non-target species—including native unionid mussels and important game fish—and no lasting impacts to water quality.
- In collaboration with MBI, these studies have been completed by a number of institutions including the
U.S. Geological Survey, the New York State Museum, the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, Missouri State Universityand Southern Illinois University, as well as a variety of independent laboratories, among others.
Solenis is a leading global producer of specialty chemicals for water intensive industries, including the pulp, paper, oil and gas, chemical processing, mining, biorefining, power and municipal markets. The company’s product portfolio includes a broad array of process, functional and water treatment chemistries as well as state-of-the-art monitoring and control systems. These technologies are used by customers to improve operational efficiencies, enhance product quality, protect plant assets and minimize environmental impact. Headquartered in
Bio With Bite.
Marrone Bio Innovations Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements that involve substantial risks and uncertainties. All statements, other than statements of historical facts, included in this press release regarding strategy, future operations and plans, including assumptions underlying such statements, are forward-looking statements, and should not be relied upon as representing MBI’s views as of any subsequent date. Examples of such statements include statements regarding the potential of Zequanox and other MBI products in the US and
Marrone Bio Innovations Contacts:
Telephone: +1 (530) 750-2800
Source: Marrone Bio Innovations